The objective is to create a platform for promoting Interdisciplinary Research. It is envisioned that the department with its multi-disciplinary nature will not only accelerate its growth but would also enable to engage with faculty across other academic and research institutes like Panjab University, PGI, IISER etc.It is expected that over a period of time the department would be able to “seed” a number of inter-disciplinary PROGRAM that do not exist today.
Objective Of Ph.D. Programs:
- The Rayat Bahra University has a mission to develop high quality scientific and professional specialists having strong base of principles of science and the scientific methods, deep understanding of their chosen areas of specialization , the motivation to learn continually, interact with multi-disciplinary groups and to handle new challenges offered by the front-end technologies.
- The Ph.D. Program is designed to impart knowledge, and consolidate concepts and intellectual skills through courses, seminars, projects, and thesis work. Above all, it helps the scholars to develop the capacity for free and objective enquiry, courage and integrity, awareness and sensitivity to the needs and aspirations of the society.
- The Ph.D. Program provides the scholars an enabling research experience during their stay in the Rayat –Bahra University thus helping them to enter their professional life with right perspective and knowledge related to their respective fields of specialization.
Structure Of The Ph.D. Programs:
- Various courses prescribed for a program of studies may be categorized in terms of their academic affinity or their functional objectives. Depending on the overall educational goals of programs, it is possible to have fixed named courses in a particular category and to have fixed number of electives.
- The Ph.D. Program is designed to impart knowledge, and consolidate concepts and intellectual skills through courses, seminars, projects, and thesis work. Above all, it helps the scholars to develop the capacity for free and objective enquiry, courage and integrity, awareness and sensitivity to the needs and aspirations of the society.The category called Elective is conceptually different and operationally wider. For each program there is a specific number of electives/Open Electives which the student is required to take, but can choose from across the courses offered.
- Semester-wise chart, consisting of the prescribed courses sequentially distributed over the required number of semesters, leads to a particular degree.
Admission To Ph.D. Programs:
- Admission to the Ph.D. programs is made on the basis of written test, interview/discussion on research area as per UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedures for Award of M.Phil/Ph.D. degree),Regulations,2009 and the selected candidates are required to deposit the requisite fees for the Ph.D. Program.
- Applications are invited from candidates by advertising the programs in leading Newspapers in the beginning of Odd semester, i.e., July and in the beginning of Even semester, i.e., January every year.
- Admission to Ph.D.. program is also possible anytime during the year through School’s Admission Committee with the approval of the Chairman, Academic Council through Dean Academic Affairs for all categories of scholars although the course registration will be possible only at the beginning of next semester.
- Categories of Scholars
- Full-time sponsored
- Financial aid/Assistantship/Scholarship may be granted subject to availability of grants from Rayat-Bahra Univ./UGC/DST/CSIR, etc.
Eligibility Criteria For Admission To Ph.D. Programs:
- Full-time/Full Time Sponsored/Part Time Scholars: Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology/Pharmacy/Education/Management/Hotel Management / Sciences/Social Sciences /Law or equivalent in a relevant discipline with 55% marks in aggregate or CGPA of 6.0 on a 10 point scale for general category. Selection criterion: As per UGC Regulations 2009 (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of M.Phil/Ph.D.. Degree).At the time of interview, the candidates are expected to discuss their research interest /area.
- The candidate may, if he/she so desires, give the choice of possible supervisors in his/her application for Ph.D.. Program. However, this would not be a limitation on allocation of supervisors(s).
- 15% seats are reserved for SC candidates and 7.5% seats are reserved for ST candidates(As per UGC rules).
- For SC and ST candidates there will be a relaxation of 5% in the minimum aggregate marks or CGPA of 0.5 on a 10 point scale.
- Seats as per University norms are reserved for the physically handicapped persons in all the Ph.D.. Programs combined. The distribution of these seats will be coordinated centrally.
- Only employees of Government Departments or Research Development Organizations or Public Sector Undertakings or Registered Industries /Companies and also the faculty of an Educational institution will be eligible for admission to Ph.D. Program as Part-Time Scholars. A Candidate under this category has to produce a ‘No Objection Letter’ from his/her employer stating that
- He/She is on the regular payroll of the organization.
- He/she is permitted to pursue studies on a part-time basis.
- His/her official duties will permit sufficient time for research.
- Full-time, non-sponsored candidates with scholarship coming on study leave must show proof of at least 3 years study leave before being allowed to register after the selection.
- The minimum prescribed percentage will be based on the marks obtained in aggregate of all the years/ semesters of the qualifying examinations as per the weightage followed by the concerned University.
- The relevancy/equivalency of Master’s degree for admission to a given discipline will be defined/determined by the concerned SRC.
- There is no residency requirement for local Ph.D. candidates ( both full-time as well as part-time) who are residing within 50 kms from RBU.
- For the part-time Ph.D. candidates, who are residing beyond 50 km from RBU, a residency requirement of one-semester duration is mandatory in the first year of Ph.D. Program.
- For the full-time Ph.D. candidates, who are residing beyond 50 km from RBU, a minimum residency of four continuous semesters from the beginning of the Ph.D. Program is mandatory.
- The attendance of full-time Ph.D. candidates will be governed by the attendance requirements of the University.
- Part-time Ph.D. candidates will be required to meet the supervisor at least eight times in a semester.
- As per the provisions 1(5) of the UGC Regulations 2009, Ph.D. program will not be conducted through distance education mode.
Ph.D. Program In Following Disciplines:
- Engineering and Technology
- Computer Science Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics & Electrical & communication Engineering
- Management Studies
- Computer Application
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- Environmental Science
- Social Sciences (Punjabi, Sociology, History)
- Last Date of application: To be communicated for academic year 2020-21Date of entrance test: To be communicated for academic year 2020-21 Reporting Time at University: To be communicated for academic year 2020-21 Test timings: To be communicated for academic year 2020-21